Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tom Kaulmann's Webinar: Don't Let the Experts Tell You PPT Sucks!

Since my husband Brent introduced me to Tom Kaulmann's blog, I've been a fan. Needless to say, when I saw a free Webinar offered by him, I immediately informed everyone else around me about the opportunity. It took me two weeks to work on this reflection post, but I'm committed to sharing some of my take-aways. :)

Christy summed up Tom's presentation already, so I'm adding onto her list.

  1. Start with your own blank canvas. But before that, look at the good work others have done, Articulate Community Showcase Award Winners. A lot of these trainings begin with simple PPT presentations!

  2. Using PPT may save a lot of time when developing e-Learning courses. However, be creative and focus on instructional strategies. Tom mentioned that the term, "Death by PPT," surfaced because presentations were boring and associated to PPT. But in reality, we shouldn't be focusing on the medium/technology that's boring. Instead, it is probably the content and how it's presented. Poor PowerPoint...Getting a bad rap with so many people using it.

  3. There were 500+ instructional designers and/or e-Learning developers and one question that popped up was, what type of handwritten font was Tom using? A good tip is that using handwritten fonts can stand out for your learners. Here's Tom's blog on handwritten fonts. I downloaded some handwritten fonts myself.

There were so many gems in the presentation, I'd recommend that you take some time to view his archived presentation (login required).

No comments:

Post a Comment